By Catherine Faas
Claude Giroux is one of the top players in the NHL, and his many fans are already quite familiar with his impressive stats. But, they might not know what his birth sign is, or what Jaromir Jagr thinks of him.
Here are 10 facts about the Philadelphia Flyers’ Claude Giroux that you might not know:
• Claude Giroux was born and raised in the small town of Hearst, Ontario. The population there is just 5,090 people, of which 93.7% are francophone.
• Given that percentage of French-speakers, it’s no surprise that Giroux is bilingual in French and English.
• Was overlooked in the 2004 and 2005 OHL drafts, but walked on to the Gatineau Olympiques team as a free agent.
• Was named a ‘Rookie of the Year’ in both the CJHL and the QMJHL.
• His nickname in ‘G’.
• Giroux’s astrological sign is Capricorn. Capricorn males are known to be patient with strong determination power. Sounds like an NHL’er to us!
• His favourite food is a grilled cheese sandwich. Giroux eats one prior to lacing up his skates before every single game.
• Former Flyers teammate Jaromir Jagr refers to him as, “a little Mario Lemieux.”
• In the 2010-11 season, Giroux lived with teammate Danny Birere and Briere’s three sons in New Jersey before moving in with teammate Brayden Schenn.
• The first time Giroux publically donned the Flyers ‘C’ for captain, was the victim of a practical joke thanks to teammates Scott Hartnell and Kimmo Timonen. Giroux led the team out of the lockeroom and onto the ice for a warmup, but the team didn’t follow, leaving him alone on the ice in front of a crowd.